How Do I Enlarge or Reduce a Map in PowerPoint?
This video shows you how to take one of our downloadable, editable www.BJDesign.com PowerPoint clip art maps and enlarge or reduce its size.
The key for enlarging or reducing a selection of states is to Group them together into a single unit.
1. Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and using the mouse pointer CLICK on the states or counties you want to enlarge. Use the right button on the PC mouse or the regular click on the Mac mouse. Holding down the Shift key allows you to select several objects at the same time.
2. In PowerPoint 2003: Once the states are selected click on the DRAW popup menu in the DRAWING TOOL BAR along the bottom of your screen and choose GROUP. Group is also located in the Formatting Palette under Size, Rotation and Ordering.
In PowerPoint 2007 you can access Group by right-clicking on the selected objects. It will appear in the Popup box. You can also access UnGroup the same way.
3. You will now see just 8 handles or blue dots around the edge on your selected group. Place your pointer over one of the lower left or right corner handles.
4. Click, and hold down the mouse button and drag the handle in a diagonal 45 degree direction. Pulling out, the group of states or countries will enlarge, moving in towards the center it will reduce. Holding down the SHIFT key will keep things proportional. Release your mouse button when you have the correct size.
5. Text elements will need to be re-adjusted manually, they will move to the correct place but in PowerPoint they do not scale up or down. You may also need to UNGROUP them and move them where needed. The text can be resized using the Font Tools along the top of the screen or in the Formatting Palette.
TIP: Just use Group and UnGroup, stay away from ReGroup, it sometimes messes things up.
You can also select everything on the slide by choosing Select All in the EDIT pull down menu.
This guide works with PowerPoint version 2003 and older. All of the principals will work with version 2007 but the locations of the tools will differ. Most of the tools have been moved up to the top of the screen into the Ribbon.
If you have any questions about using our products please call or e-mail us.
Read our book, How to Customize PowerPoint Clip Art Maps [PDF]